mandag 7. februar 2011

The shock at the vaccination office

On Wednesday I was in Harstad to do the final preparations involving vaccines and anti-malaria drugs. The cholera drinking vaccine, which I by the way enjoy quite a lot, was as expected no problem to get. However, when I asked for Malarone, the health personnel at the vaccination office told me that it was not allowed to give Malarone to long time travellers. For me it didn't make sense as I got it for 11 weeks the last time I travelled in Africa, and the she could tell me that the doctor must have made a big mistake. This whole thing was a shock, and I suddenly feel a lot more insecure.

I have to take Lariam for 14 weeks!!! 14 weeks!!! Oh my God, do you know about all the side effects? It must be the most dangerous drug you can take. I am quoting parts of the possible side effects from the appendix I got: "dizzyness, vomiting, abdominal pain, problems with balance, headaches, sleep disorders, change in blood, blood pressure and heart frequency, fainting, rash, itching, loss of hair, muscle cramps and pain, depressions, anxiety, loss of memory, dilussions, hallusinations, aggression, psycotic and paranoid reactions, tinnitus, getting tired, loss of appetite, fever, brain damage, reports of becoming suicidal".

At least you know why I have changed when I come back...

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar