mandag 7. februar 2011

Safari, bombs and change of plans

Ok, it may not be a surprise that I did not get to swim with the hippos or touch the giraffes, but were really close to both of them. This blog post will be about what I did this weekend; the safari, going to the Dutch pub in Kampala to watch the World Cup finals and the terrorist attacks.

On Friday I left the backpackers hostel in Kampala, and we were big group of 16 people and 7 nationalities (French, Dutch, British, Irish, Canadian, American and Norwegian). The first day consisted mainly of driving and going to the Rhino sanctuary to trek. We were fortunately lucky enough to see two white rhinos. Afterwards we drove to our camp inside the Murchison Falls national park. While waiting for dinner, the camp was made ready. I had to share a tent with the Dutch guy Fedde.

Saturday was the main day of the safari, with a game drive in which we could see giraffes up close, lots of antelopes and buffalos, but only one lion and a couple of elephants. I thought it was a nice experience anyway. I got to see the only animal I wanted to see, and that was the giraffe. After the game drive, we went on a boat cruise on the river Nile towards the Murchison Falls. When closer to the Murchison Falls, we made the one hour trek up to the falls.

On Sunday we went back to Kampala, but first did the chimpanzee trekking in the forests of the national park. We got to see one group of the chimps and lots of beautiful butterflies. We were back at the hostel at around 5 in the evening, and I am sorry that I can't think about writing anything else here from the safari, but I guess my mind is somewhere else at the moment. Back at the hostel we exchanged e-mail addresses, and decided to go to the Dutch pub to watch the World Cup final. It was a crazy atmosphere at the pub, with a lot of crazy Dutch people. It was a nice time until sometime during the extra time, when we got the message that there had been bomb attacks on some of the other places screening the World Cup. We decided to evacuate the pub, and try to get back to the hostel. Did unfortunately not see the end of the football game, but some things are more important than football. We managed to get back, only to wait for news on the attack. Today I can read that 64 people are confirmed dead, and some 70 injured. I have decided to not do more travelling, but rather stay close to Kampala and Entebbe (where my flight leaves from) the next 10 days. I am simply too tired to go on another bus. I spent at least 100 hours in a bus, and now I just want to relax.

I am safe in Kampala, and just want to tell my friends and family that everything is fine, and you should not worry too much. I don't think there will be a city in Africa that is safer than Kampala the coming days.

Love you!





Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar