mandag 7. februar 2011

Lack of updates from the NYC-trip

Finally, almost a week after returning back to Norway, I will update you on what happened in New York City. I will even include some photos. Unfortunately (or fortunately, you decide) this is the only time when no photos of me exists... This is what happens when Lisa or Robert is not with me in New York:p. I also shot fewer photos than usually, something that may be because of the fact that those two took a lot of photos the last two years, but it could also be because of the fact that I have already been there twice before.

So, I already told you about the travel and lack of sleep. That did of course not stop us from doing some sightseeing the first day. We had a walk in Central Park and strolled down towards Times Square the first day, before returning to the hostel and making ourselves ready to go to Jennifer's and Artemus' appartement in Queens. This is old facts I know, but now I will show you some pictures from that first day









I think I already told you about this visit before, but I will emphasise one more time that we enjoyed ourselves, and the continue with Friday's happenings. On Friday we did some shopping as previously described, and Saturday was a sad story of the entire group sitting at the hostel for a whole day, but on Sunday we did one thing that we didn't do my first year in New York, but something I decided last year would be cool to do, mostly because of a visit me and Victor had in Lower East Side two years ago when I had my first tattoo made at New York Hardcore Tattoos. I think an important part of going to Manhattan, is to see the different neighbourhoods, and to see how diverse the city really is. It is so much more than Times Square, and since we didn't live in Harlem this year, it was even more important to check out other areas of Manhattan. So, on Friday I took the tiny group on a sightseeing in the south eastern areas, including Brooklyn Bridge, Chinatown, Little Italy, Soho, Lower East Side and East Village. We walked the Brooklyn Bridge, took some photos, continued walking through Chinatown, and then suddenly we were in Little Italy with Italian restaurants everywhere... Some fifteen minutes after Little Italy we were in Soho... and it goes on and on... It is so diverse and changes from one street to another... In Soho, Torgil did some shopping at Ed Hardy's, while the rest of the group were chatting with the guard that originally came from Poland. A very interesting guy. Then we continued walking towards Lower East Side were I bought my Mammoth at Ludlow Guitars. Finally:) We ended up at Union Square when Torgil wanted to go back to the hostel and Frode needed to go to a toilet, so we decided going back, even though that may not have been what me or Krischan wanted.



Monday, the first day of the seminars started in a very hectic manner. We had to rush from the hostel to the UN, where we were supposed to do a tour. We made it in time, and even had some time to go to the gift shop. For the first time since I started going to NYC, we did not have the Japanese guide. This time we had a Korean guide. And for the first time we could actually take photos in the Assembly Hall. Unfortunately we could not see the Security Council. But that was no surprise as they are still working on the building. How many years will it take???

After the tour we headed to CCUN where we met Jennifer. She was even waiting outside the building. We had a short introduction in the chapel, went to the 11th floor, had some more introductions, and then lunch. After lunch we had seminars with Somen, Peace and Security, and the Peacekeeping Operations. Michel Bonnardeaux of the Peacekeeping Operations made a very good impression on the Peacebuilders. I couldn't witness the dialogue between him and the Peacebuilders as I had to go find Stine who was waiting for me somewhere outside the CCUN, but Frode told me that it was one of the most interesting conversations he had ever had. Obviously, Stine is a lifesaver. The fact that she came made my responsibilities much easier to deal with, and I think she may be one of the best people the world has ever seen (I may be writing this just in case she actually reads my blog, but seriously she's amazing). After a quick lunch with Stine, we rejoined the group to witness a feminist dialogue on militarism that I found interesting, but the group was tired after a long day...



Tuesday, we met a students from the Dickinson College. We were supposed to have a drama workshop with Jeff Flowers, but he was unfortunately sick. However, Jay and Jennifer had a backup plan, and we played some games and had some discussions instead. A good way of getting to know the other students. I was amazed by how good these students were at discussing difficult topics. I wish I was like that when I went to University, but that feels like ages ago now... Anyway, after meeting them, we had to go to another seminar with Boris Dittrich from the Human Rights Watch. It was a seminar on rights of homosexuals. It was a very interesting seminar again, and it is always inspiring to meet people that actually have done something to change the world that we live in. After lunch we left CCUN to go for a site visit. I realise that this may be boring to read, but who cares. I like to see it as my travel diary, and there's nothing wrong with that, right?



Wednesday was strange. The day of terrible weather... We had a storm, and it was quite noisy in the 8th floor of the CCUN. We were all soaking wet when we arrived at CCUN. Well at least Stine, Frode and me, as we had to walk 30 blocks to get to the subway. First we had a meeting with UN Enable that was very interesting. We were all invited to a film festival at the UN on Friday, but only me and Frode decided to join as Friday was the free day I had promised my students. Then, during lunch I had this talk with a man who was seriosly into conspiration theories. He was actually one of the people we were going to talk with after lunch as we had a meeting with Veterans for Peace. Another seminar that made an impression on the peacebuilders, who did not know that the US spends 59 percent of their budget on military. Well, I guess it is shocking for most people, but to tell you the truth I kind of knew that. I don't think the Norwegian government has a lot to learn from a country that uses only 3 or 4 percent of the budget on education... But we can still learn from the people, and there are loads of good people in the US.



Thursday was the last day of the seminars, and we managed to come late to the visit to the Norwegian mission to the UN due to a delay on the 7 train from Times Square. Anyway, we came only 15 minutes late, and the people at the Norwegian mission did not say anything about that. I remembered Emma, the Public Relations person from last year as a very interesting woman, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that she was one of the people we met this year as well. I don't know if my students agree with me, but I find it very comfortable to listen to her, and very interesting to hear what work they're doing at the UN. Like last year we also met interns, and that is something that makes the students and the teacher better able to understand the work that actually goes on in the UN. Young people are better at telling young people about the work that they do, or at least they make it more understandable for each other because they are more or less speaking the same language. Just a theory I have obviously, but it may well be true...

So, to what I see as the highlight of the seminars. I really really like this woman called Liz Gannon Graydon, and we had a seminar with her and her husband Rob two years ago. "What better looks like" is a project started by these two people, and there is a video of my group and me on youtube from that visit in 2008. She's probably one of the most inspiring human beings I have ever met, and I'd like to say here and now that I wish I had a teacher like her when I was younger. What is funny is that she remembered something Ranjan said two years ago, and if you're reading this Ranjan, you made an impression as well.

The last post on the programme was the reflection time with Kathleen Stone, the chaplain of the CCUN. She read some stories, and at least from Frode's laughter it seemed like they enjoyed the story about "the three little wolves and the big bad pig".





Friday, the free day. Me and Frode rushed to the UN to participate in the film festival, while the others went shopping. Frode and I got our passes, and met this beautiful Maldivian woman from the seminar about UN Enable. It started a little bit late due to a discussion about community based inclusive development, but when it started we saw this beautiful movie from Argentina called "Mundo Alas". A very inspiring musical road trip, with amazing folk music from Leon Gieco and his friends. A movie that one day for sure will be in my collection. The rest of the movies were short films, and some more enjoyable than others. The whole thing took place in conference room 1, in a completely new part of the UN for me anyway. It was nice to experience something new, and there is no doubt that we were sitting in that room with some important people.

We met the rest of the group somewhere close to Borders, a book store. And fortunately they found us, because me and Frode was sitting there waiting for them as we were unable to get down some stairs. Another example about how difficult accessibility in New York is for people in wheelchairs.

Saturday was the big sightseeing day, when the group went to the Statue of Liberty, Wall Street, Ground Zero and Empire State Building. It was freezing cold, but I hope they enjoyed it a little bit anyway.









Sunday, last day of shopping and farewell dinner at Hardrock Cafe. This is a tradition that will probably not change very soon. We invited Jennifer and Artemus, and at least two of us had the salad. Some other people were as unhealthy as they had been on the whole trip... Haha, but the salad was amazing. Seriously. And it's actually one of the things I am really looking forward to next year.

After saying good bye and thank you to Jennifer and Artemus, we went to Rockefeller Center to have a look at the way too big tree. It had so many lights. I keep wondering every year about the amount of money they use on electricity in NY.







The last day, Monday, were mostly spent on the hostel and on travelling to the airport. I sent Stine, Torgil and Krischan in a taxi, while me and Frode had to do the walk down to 72 street on last time. We took the subway to Penn Station, were we catched the train to Newark. It was quite straightforward this time. At the airport Stine helped us check in, and then said goodbye only to meet us again in Oslo the next day. The security check at the airport was terrible. Nobody even tried to help Frode, and my luggage became the victim of a security guy. He was very interested in my new guitar pedals. Anyway, they were cleared, and so the travels begun with the first and only McDonalds meal.

To summarise. We had a very nice trip despite the difficulties of living too close to each other for 13 days, and despite what some people may think. Thank you Stine for making my trip much easier and funnier. I am especially thinking of that great comment. Thank you to my students for another interesting trip to New York. And thank you to Veronika and Stian for meeting us at the airport.

Even though it was a short trip, I missed some people a lot and it is good to be back in Norway.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar