mandag 7. februar 2011

10 records that changed my life...

I just figured out that since it has been forever since I last updated my blog, I could as well write two blog posts today. Heavily influenced by arts this evening, and after watching two realtively strong movies, I feel like sharing with you ten records that kind of changed me through different phases in my life. I am a child of the nineties, there is no need to hide it. I still believe that the nineties is the best decade when it comes to music. That three of the records I will mention dates back to the eighties is not really a coincidence as they all are examples of musicians ahead of their time, and I guess that's why they are all legends now...

I will try to rank the records due to an educated guess about which records I listened the most to through my lifespan. And at the same time, I feel that I need to emphasise that I actually still listen quite a lot to these records. Some more than other, but still I am pretty sure i listened to all these records this year already. Music is an important thing in my life, and if I were to live without music I would have to replace it with something that I don't know yet if exists.

So lets start at

10. Breach- Friction (1996). This is my hardcore favourite of all times, and even though I had some periods of my life when I could not listen to hardcore, it found a place in my heart. The only band on this list that I actually saw live. In Våganhallen in 1996. It made a huge impression to a young bass player from the band Lofast, but it would not last long until I needed the break from hardcore music. However, a song like "Almighty Generation" still lived on in my head, and when I returned to listening to hardcore again sometime in the early 2000's this was one of the records to be most played on my stereo (that actually dates back to 1994).

9. The Clash- London Calling (1979). Here comes the surprise. Not that I listened a lot to London Calling, but that my favourite track on the record is "Rudy can't fail". Hehe, I don't know why. This is obviously a classic record, and i am not really sure if I listened most to this record or the one called The Clash. These days it's their debut record that is closest to that position, but I wuold think that I played London Calling more.

8. Alice in Chains- Jar of Flies (1994). This is actually the record I am listening to right now. Jar of Flies was given to me as a gift from my mother in 1994. I did of course ask for it, but she managed to find a version with both Jar of Flies and Sap. Something that makes this record even better than it already is. Anyway, in my opinion Layne Staley is the best singer of all times. It seems so easy, and he was a huge loss to the world when he died from an overdose sometime early in this century. This record is entirely accoustic, and that suits this grunge band very well. "Don't Follow" would be anyone's favourite on Jar of Flies.

7. Dinosaur Jr.- Bug (1988). A band I unfortunately discovered very late. I think I bought Bug in 2005 or something. I actually had a Sebadoh record a long time before finally buying Dinoasur Jr. Anyway, this is one of the bands slowly killing the terrible poodle rock thing that was going on in the eighties. "Freak Scene" is the opening track, and oh my God it is good!!!

6. Uncle Tupelo- March 16-20. (1992). An accoustic record from the original No Depression band. One of the bands to combine old american folk music with rock. This was the band that introduced me to Americana or folk rock (if we forget about Neil Young for some minutes). These guys are legends, and now leaders of two very different bands. Jay Farrar plays with Son Volt, a band that still is doing some kind of country rock, and Jeff Tweedy is the singer of Wilco, which is much more famous band I guess. Both are however very good in their own ways. Still Uncle Tupelo is the original band, and the one that has inspired me the most.

5. Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation (1988). At the time of writing my absoulte favourite record. "Teenage Riot" is my favourite. And to be honest with you, and no disrespect to other guitar players, Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore playing the guitars together is enough to make a man weep.

4. The Stone Roses- s/t (1989). "I wanna be adored"!!! The band that together with The Smiths probably influenced most of the british indie scene in the nineties. They were funky, they were good, they had an awful singer, a great drummer, they were too good for themselves.

3. Neil Young- Harvest (1974). Yeah, my first Neil record. And I don't think I need to say more. He was more or less the only musician I listened to for a long time.

2. Pavement- Wowee Zowee (1995). I still love this record that I bought in 1995. It sounds quite bad at times, but that was the intention of this band. Don't have a favourite track as I love the whole record.

1. Belly- King (1995). 1995 was a good year. I have everything Tanya Donelly released, and this was what started it. "Red" is and was my favourite, and even though I listen to this record a lot every year, I never seem to get tired from this band. This is by far the record I listened most to.


I guess my sister already knew all of this, but to the rest of you. You need to start listening to these bands!!!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar