mandag 7. februar 2011

The Angels of Bunyonyi

I am sorry for the delayed blog post, but I have been without internet access the last couple of days. I know I told you that I was going to stay at the hostel in Kampala, and that my big plan for the weekend was to do nothing at all. This may come as a surprise to you, but I usually stick to my plans. What happened this time was that during the last night that Fedde (the Dutch guy from the safari) was at the hostel in Kampala, we got to know two Irish girls, one of them the national champion of Ireland in pool. And of course they beat us... While it may not be entirely true that Yvonne is a champion in pool, it is definitely true that Yvonne and Maria are two very nice girls. It is also true that they kidnapped me to go with them to Lake Bunyonyi and that they forced me to give the blog post the title: "the Angels of Bunyonyi". I kind of wanted to go there already when planning this trip, but did decide not to go after the amount of travelling that I already did. Now, when I look back, I don't regret going with the girls to the lake. The area is simply a paradise. It is breathtakingly beautiful, and on top of that I got to know some very interesting and nice people.

The bus ride was a pain as usual, but at least this time I shared my time with someone. We spent the first night at a hotel in Kabale. It was ok, but nothing more. I woke up from some terrible noise at 5:30. And the noise continued until I was out of bed at around 8. We then found a taxi that took us to Lake Bunyonyi. We used our first day at Kalebas, and did a short hike to Arcadia Cottages at the top of the mountain above the lake. I could feel the altitude, and felt really tired. The view is spectacular. We shared a tent, and I was making myself as small as possible. I am still not an experienced camper, and do not take much space despite my size.

On Sunday we took the canoe to one of the islands in the lake, where we found a dorm. We did of course know about it before going there... It may not have had the characters that Kalebas had, but it was very beautiful place. Today is Monday, and I had to say goodbye to the girls in Kabale at around 11. From Kabale I had to go on back to Kampala alone. The bus ride was much more comfortable, but the fact that I sat in the bus for two hours waiting for it to start moving still bothers me. It was almost full for a couple of hours. Kapuscinski is right. The African people truly are champions of patience.

Now I only have two days left in Uganda, and really look forward to coming home. Just hope somebody have a bed for me on Thursday (or at least a garden where I can put my tent...)

The view from Arcadia

Yvonne is going for a swim


See you soon!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar