mandag 7. februar 2011

Quiet days in Zomba

I had some really nice and quiet days in Zomba, getting back the good feeling about being in Africa. I did pretty much nothing yesterday, except going for a walk in the city centre. The city centre here is really small and though there's not as much hassle here as it is in Lilongwe, it still feels a little bit uncomfortable. To be honest, this city is as close to Cape Coast as it gets, given that it is in a totally different part of Africa. What it lacks is the Atlantic Ocean, but it has the mountains so who am I to complain. This tiny town is a little bit hilly too. Just the way I like it. Those of you that know me will agree when I tell you that my favourite city in the whole world is Genoa. If you haven't been there, you should go. It's the only place I would choose to live over Trondheim. And I love the city of the mustaches. You know that. Zomba does not really resemble Genoa, but it has the same types of hills, again lacking the ocean. Anyway, I will probably lose a couple of kilos during these days, because of all the exercise, just like I tend to think that I do while in Genoa, except for the fact that when there I eat far too much Pizza Pesto.

Well, after the walk in downtown Zomba, I went up to Dominos, a small pizza place with a view over the golf course. By the way, there are golf courses in every major town in Malawi. Like I said before, the colonial architecture is highly present in the hills above the town. It's kind of beautiful, but also a little bit sad that the colonial powers changed this country so much. At Dominos I had to take my anti-malaria drug, and as expected that ruined the rest of the day. I don't eat much at the moment, and I guess I am losing a lot of weight, but from my experience in Ghana and Venezuela, this is normal when I travel in the tropical parts of the world. I never feel like I don't eat enough, except when taking this terrible medicine. Anyway, I get nausea and feel dizzy and just want to go to bed. So I left Dominos for a thirty minute walk back to Annie's Lodge. On that quite short walk I took a couple of pictures, and I must say that I really like the monkeys here. They are cool. However, they scream terribly loud. I actually also took the first picture with people in it. These two children were shouting to me that I should take a photo of them, so I did. It was on some distance, but who cares. I hope there will be plenty of opportunities later to take good pictures.

I told you that I was going to look for Thokozani, and today I went down to the Chancellor College (University of Malawi) and the Department of Geography to see if I could find him. It was a quite long walk along a really nice road. When I got to the university, I got a little bit surprised to find that it was much more modern than the one in Cape Coast. Everything else seems to be a little bit less developed than in Ghana, except the universities (and the supermarkets). This was a very nice building, and I wouldn't mind studying there. A guard took me to the department of geography, and when I came to the office the guy could tell me that Thoko was in Western Cape doing his Ph.d. That was really depressing, but I had a short chat with a professor in chemistry and this geographer, and at least I got Thoko?s new email address. Maybe I will meet him another time.

The rest of the day I am planning to just sit around at the lodge, getting a tan. I look very very pale at the moment. I don't even get a red face. Don?t know why, (well that is not entirely true as I have to use my long trousers while walking around places with people, but I should at least get some colour on my arms and in my face). Tomorrow morning I am going to the bus station to catch a bus to Monkey Bay. In Cape Maclear I will just spend four days on the beach so if I don?t get a tan while there, I will never get one?

One of the cute monkeys:)

The two Malawian children that wanted their photo taken.

The forests and Zomba plateau in the background.

Going to the Uni.

Finally, Chancellor College, University of Malawi.


And, now the sun disappeared...

Big hug from Big Bear:)

1 kommentar:

  1. Zomba is still one of my favorite places in Malawi.After Lake Malawi of course=)

    SvarSlett